Before you stop by the store for a Gatorade on the way to the game, try making your own natural version! It is easy, just as fast, and a lot more healthy.
Regular Gatorade contains: Water, sucrose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, citric acid, natural grape flavor with other natural flavors, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, red 40, Blue 1. (This is from a picture of the grape flavored Gatorade label).
Homemade Natural Energy and Sports Drink Recipe
- 1 quart of liquid (options: green tea, herbal teas, coconut water, plain water, etc)
- ⅛-1/4 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt (regular table salt will work, but it doesn’t have all the trace minerals)
- ¼ to ½ tsp crushed Calcium magnesium tablets or powder (optional)
- ¼ cup or more of juice (optional. Can use grape, apple, lemon, lime, pineapple, etc)
- 1-2 TBSP sweetener (optional)- can use honey, stevia, etc. I suggest brewing stevia leaf into the base liquid for the most natural option.
- Brew tea if using or slightly warm base liquid
- Add sea salt and calcium magnesium (if using)
- Add juice and mix or shake well
- Cool and store in fridge until ready to use
Another easier alternative is the following recipe.
Homemade Rehydration Drink Recipe
- 1 cup lemon juice (approx 6-8 lemons)
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Place in a pint mason jar and stir to combine (the lemon juice and baking soda will react, so stir it down), keep concentrate in the fridge. This can be added to 1 gallon of filtered water, or add 1-2 tablespoons to each 8 ounces (1 cup) of water.